Apparently it's December now? 2012 just sped by. In the news: Rob Ford vows to run again; Councillor Bailão's drunk-driving charges go to court; Ontario's elementary teachers vote on a one-day walkout; and binge on Sue-Ann Levy columns today, before you lose your chance.
Mayor Rob Ford took to the airwaves with his brother Doug on Sunday, and it was perhaps the only thing about last week that was normal for him. Ford said that he won’t be resigning or walking away from his job as mayor after a judge found him in violation of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and ordered him out of office last Monday. He also vowed during his Newstalk 1010 show that if council opts for a byelection—a decision he encouraged—he’ll be “the first one into the race” and thanked his supporters. His stay of judgment application will be heard on Wednesday.
Another city politician starts the week with a court date—this Monday, it’s Councillor Ana Bailão (Ward 18, Davenport), whose charges of impaired driving and driving with a blood-alcohol level higher than the legal limit go to court today. Bailão said previously that she intends to plead not guilty to the charges, and she won’t physically be in court today, according to her lawyer. The case is expected to be put off to a later date to allow Bailão’s lawyer time for review.
On Sunday, Ontario’s elementary school teachers began electronic voting to determine if they’ll hold one-day walkouts, a move Education Minister Laurel Broten has threatened to block, as the next step in their disagreement with the provincial government’s attempts at contract legislation. Voting ends at midnight today, and Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario union president, Sam Hammond, is expected to release a statement to the teachers on Tuesday. If the one-day walkouts do happen, it’s expected it would be between December 10 and 21, and would likely first affect the five school boards—including York Region—already in strike position. The Toronto public board will be in strike position as of December 10.
And you’d better get your fix of Sunshine Girls today, because tomorrow the Sun‘s Toronto paper will follow the lead of the Globe and Mail (for perhaps the first and only time) and go behind a paywall. The new Sun+ plan, expected to run a relatively inexpensive $5.99 a month, won’t block all coverage, but includes the paper’s columnists, investigative reports, photo and video libraries, and the aforementioned Sunshine Girls.