Every weekday’s end, Extra, Extra collects just about everything you ought to care about or ought not miss.
- Someone took a video of a Rob Ford press conference and dubbed over the audio with a surreal, halting monologue, done in an authentically high-pitched Rob Ford voice. The result is hilarious, but also frightening, because you can’t help but wonder if this is what it would be like if Ford had a brain aneurysm one day.
- A citizen group hasn’t succeeded in waylaying it, so the Union-Pearson Air Rail Link (now known as the Union Pearson Express) is still under construction, diesel trains and all. When complete, it will provide rapid transit between Union Station and Pearson Airport, for a premium ticket price. UrbanToronto has some nice pictures of the still-unfinished elevated guideway that will carry the trains for part of the line’s length.
- The Ryerson Eyeopener has released its annual parody issue. This year, the student paper has rebranded itself as the “Toronto Stah.”
- Don Cherry, apparently still bored out of his floral-patterned blazer by the NHL strike, has dipped his toe into current affairs yet again, this time in an interview with the Sun‘s Joe Warmington. The topic of conversation is Cherry’s embattled buddy, mayor-for-now Rob Ford.
- Food Network star Guy Fieri is in Toronto, filming his show. Everyone who meets him should do whatever’s necessary to discourage him from opening a restaurant here.