It’s a wonder that Torontoist can remember anything from the last couple of Fake Proms, seeing how they’ve been a booze-fueled blur of boogeying, checking out pretty boys and girls in formal wear and listening to the Fake Prom band blare out prom classics. But we were recently reminded that the event is upon us once again.
Now some people might pooh pooh us and say proms are special because they really only happen once, and you really go to a prom twice only if an older/younger boy or girl takes you again or you repeat your last year.
But they miss the point. Repeat proms, fake or real, means repeat opportunities to shop for prom wear. So a few hints from us to you, oh sartorially challenged hipster.
1) Learn how to tie a tie, clip-ons are evil.
2) White socks + dress shoes are evil. Unless the shoes are white (in which case go nuts).
3) Brown shoes + black pants are a no-no.
4) Pink is not the new black.
5) Make sure you can dance in that shit.
Fake Prom 2006 is on August 12, 2006 at Lee’s Palace. Tickets are $5 and available at Soundscapes and Rotate This.