Love the city? Want to contribute journalism that makes a difference? Join our team.
If you love Toronto, and you want to contribute thoughtful journalism about the issues that matter, then we want you on our team.
Here’s how you can join as a contributor.
There are a lot of reasons to join our team. Torontoist has been around for a dozen years, we’ve won a bunch of awards, and our alumni are in almost every notable newsroom in the city (not the Sun, for some reason). We’re passionate about our city, and provide informed perspectives about the issues that shape it. Through opinion and analysis, we seek to do journalism in the public interest, hold local institutions accountable, and have some fun too.
What we’re looking for:
- You have some journalism experience and want to pitch substantive features or investigative stories in the public interest.
- You possess subject matter expertise in an area that matters to Torontoist, and you want to own that beat. This could be: race and policing, social and affordable housing, architecture and development, transit, City Hall, LGBTQ issues, indigenous issues, cycling, education, the environment, and more. If you have an interest in these areas and want to work on learning that subject, that can work too.
- Video is a nice bonus too.
Unfortunately, Torontoist can only offer a modest stipend for each article (more for in-depth features). We do, however, offer monthly pub nights (free beer and food!), a great team of collaborators, smart editing (and copy editing!), and editorial freedom.
If you’re interested in joining our team, here’s what you can do:
- Email Torontiost editors David Hains and Erica Lenti at [email protected]. Include “I want to join the Torontoist team—NAME” in the subject so we know to look for you. Due to time constraints, we’re unable to respond to all applicants.
- Include a brief intro of who you are, and why you want to join the team. We want to have a sense of why you might be a good fit for the publication.
- Include at least three examples of the kind of thing you’d like to contribute. That can be links to published writing or to blog posts, videos that you’ve shot and edited, or cool interactives you’ve made.
- Include three pitches of stories or projects that you’d like to do if you contributed to Torontoist.
- Answer the following two questions: 1) What do you think is an overlooked issue in the city, and why is it important? 2) How can Torontoist be a better publication?
Send in your application by August 9.