Weekend! Not a long one, but we'll take it. In the news: an inquiry will look at three shooting deaths involving police, the parents of a deceased toddler launch a lawsuit against her daycare, Mayor Rob Ford loses another staffer, and other Ford-related news.
The chief coroner’s office has announced that there will be an inquest into the police shooting deaths of three GTA residents, in the wake of the recent death of Sammy Yatim. (Yatim’s death won’t be addressed in the inquest.) The three people were each wielding a knife or scissors when they were shot, and may have each have been in some sort of mental-health crisis. The inquest is expected to last eight weeks.
The parents of a two year old who died at an unlicensed home daycare in Toronto earlier this summer have launched a lawsuit against the childcare facility and the Ontario Ministry of Education. The parents, Ekaterina Evtropva and Vycheslav Ravikovich, say they want to prevent other parents from experiencing the same tragedy. They allege that their daughter Eva died as a result of negligence. The cause of Eva’s death has not yet been determined, and the couple’s claims have not been proven in court. The daycare remains closed after failing a health and safety investigation.
Mayor Rob Ford is down another staff member, with events co-ordinator Carley McNeil no longer in her post. City spokesperson Wynna Brown confirmed on Thursday that McNeil had left her job, and the Star reports that the co-ordinator, who’d been working for Ford for about a year and a half, was fired and that the dismissal was a surprise to her. McNeil is the eighth Ford staffer to be fired or to resign since mid-May.
But the mayor is concerned about filling another vacancy: he wants to call a snap council meeting to address Doug Holyday’s council seat, which was left empty after the former deputy mayor’s recent provincial by-election win. Ford has said that he prefers a by-election for Ward 3 over an appointment.
And at the same event, Ford said he’s looking at filling some job vacancies of a very different kind: he revealed that he’d been approached by three unnamed Toronto schools interested in having the mayor coach football. Ford didn’t name the schools, but told the National Post that he was considering the offers. Ford was banned from coaching at Toronto Catholic schools earlier this year after being removed from his volunteer coaching job with the Don Bosco Eagles.