Newsstand: October 5, 2010
Torontoist has been acquired by Daily Hive Toronto - Your City. Now. Click here to learn more.

Torontoist

5 Comments

news

Newsstand: October 5, 2010

matt_newsstand_carsandflags.jpg
Illustration by Matt Daley/Torontoist.


On this Tuesday: anti–Rob Ford web attack ads pop up, Rocco Rossi changes tactics, and Porter may get some company.

The Sun is trying to figure out who’s behind a web ad featuring Rob Ford’s mugshot and the phrase “arrested and jailed” that arose online Monday, including on our site, but was promptly taken down. The ads were placed through Google’s Ad Words system, Torontoist publisher Ken Hunt told the Sun via email, which matches ads to relevant content. “Because they came through Google, we don’t have any idea who paid for them or how many times they ran.” Hunt called the ads “cheap, anonymous bashing.” Rival candidates say it wasn’t them. But who? The mystery continues.
Apparently it was a “jealous rage” that caused the husband of Belleville’s police chief to assault her and leave her with bruises and a broken arm. David McMullan admitted he is guilty yesterday, saying his suspicions about an affair between his wife, Cory McMullan, and the city’s mayor, Neil Ellis, were “irrational and unfounded.” He is hoping for reconciliation. He will be sentenced on November 26 and cannot contact his wife without her written consent.
The Globe is crediting Rocco Rossi with employing a new tactic—common sense. Rossi unveiled his budget plan yesterday, and he is the only one of the four main candidates left in the race not to promise any kind of tax cut. His plan would strip four hundred and sixty million dollars from the budget by 2015, but he would do it by contracting out garbage collection, cutting back on the city’s spending on goods and services, and reforming the city’s pension plan, among other things.
Citizen’s arrest or vigilantism? The Toronto shopkeeper facing charges for catching and containing a thief in May 2009 saw his trial delayed yesterday, due to an unqualified Mandarin interpreter. The judge said the interpreter did not have the right credentials from the Ministry of the Attorney General. David Chen and two employees were charged with assault and forcible confinement for apprehending a thief who had stolen sixty dollars’ worth of flowers earlier that day. The trial is now slated to begin Wednesday.
It won’t just be Porter flying from the island anymore. Come February, Air Canada will likely also be using the spot for up to fifteen non-stop flights a day to Montreal’s Trudeau International. Air Canada was banned from using the airport in 2004, when the airline’s terminal lease expired. But now, subject to certain conditions, Air Canada has an agreement with the Toronto Port Authority to use the airport. Porter Airlines, which has been flying from the space solo since 2006, said they welcome other carriers.

Comments