Torontoist is one of thirteen cities in the worldwide Gothamist network. Each Sunday, the editors of every site—from LAist to Londonist—choose their most interesting article, a list that is compiled into the network-wide feature Elsewhere In The Ist-a-Verse.
To raise awareness, L.A.’s Hollywood sign was temporarily covered up February. Photo by therealquarrygirl from LAist’s Featured Photos pool on Flickr.
- LAist was delighted to report that Hugh Hefner came to the rescue with a bundle of cash to help stop developers from digging into the land near the iconic Hollywood sign.
- Chicagoist saw the debate over Arizona’s new controversial immigration law reach their front yard in the form of a boycott of Cubs games against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Shanghaiist celebrated the opening of the Obama Club and the Shanghai Expo.
- SFist wondered if Portland and Seattle are the new suburbs of San Francisco.
- Phillyist, spurred by a Twitter conversation with author Buzz Bissinger, called out the local blogger who’d referred to the Pulitzer Prize winner as a “crank.”
- Gothamist, after nearly two years, learned that the NYPD cop who shoved a cyclist during a Critical Mass ride was found guilty of falsifying police records (but not assault), which didn’t make anyone happy, except the cyclist.
- Londonist went sci-fi crazy, spotting alien objects around town. Back down to Earth, they witnessed the opening of a new Tube line and photographed some sensational outfits at Alternative Fashion Week.