Today’s ad proves that hair dye has been available for purchase at Yonge and Carlton for over a century, even if going to “Armand’s” sounds classier than a quick run to Shoppers Drug Mart.
The 1 Carlton Street address shifted north in 1931 due to a street reconfiguration that directly connected Carlton with College Street. The project was partly initiated by Eaton’s, who had just opened their new store on the southwest corner of Yonge and College (now College Park). Smoother traffic flow quickly benefited another new landmark in the neighbourhood, Maple Leaf Gardens.
The address is currently home to the Tutti Frutti candy shop.
Source: Truth, April 30, 1898