If Torontoist is as big a civics junkie as he claims to be he’d be sleeping over at council chambers Wednesday as council starts its big budget debate. Thanks to the intervention of Dalton and crew the city’s budget will balance. But not before the city had to hike both residential and business taxes plus raise fees for services, TTC fares and god knows what else.
Councillor Sylvia Watson, the budget vice-chair, suggested that councillors bring a cot because the city’s budget debates are notorious for being LOOOOONG. Sadly there are no open fires allowed in council chambers so smores and sing-alongs are probably not going to happen. Torontoist thinks watching the budgeting process would be more fun if we turned our sleepover into a drinking game. We could take a drink if:
1) A councillor mentions downloading
2) Councillor Pitfield blames the mayor for being fiscally irresponsible
3) A councillor mentions the tax burdens of residential homeowners (which Torontoist admits have ballooned in recent years because of higher assessments)
4) A councillor is caught napping at their desk
5) A councillor insults another councillor
6) A councillor/the mayor sucks up to Queen’s Park
7) A councillor bashes the homeless, the unemployed or anyone on welfare
8) A councillor blames something, anything on the 905
This is an incomplete list and only the wonkiest of us would do this. But seeing how TV on Wednesday nights is pretty atrocious (ok, there’s Lost) since they moved the West Wing to Sunday this drinking game is starting to sound tempting.