Rob Ford’s Conflict of Interest Case
Your guide to the issues, the judicial decisions, and where things go from here.
The Process Currently Underway
|Original Decision: Removal from Office||Appeal Decision: Removal Overturned|
More on Rob Ford’s Conflict of Interest Case
|Video: The Mayor Responds||Ford’s Testimony in Court||Original Decision: Legal Analysis|
More on Rob Ford’s Mayoralty
A History of Formal Complaints
Ten Things About Rob Ford
Governance in the Age of Ford
Archived Rob Ford Coverage
- Rob Ford Issues Audio Statement Sep. 18, 2014 2:45 PM - Mayor Rob Ford, recently diagnosed with a malignant abdominal tumour, has recorded an audio statement in order to “speak directly to the people of this great city.” In it, he thanks his family, his medical team, and Torontonians for their support and reveals that he will begin chemotherapy in a few hours’ time. He also […]
- Doug Ford Launches Campaign Website Sep. 18, 2014 1:40 PM - Doug Ford, Rob Ford’s brother and campaign manager, entered the mayoral race on September 12 after Rob Ford withdrew because of health concerns—Doug has not been vigorously campaigning, preferring to focus on the challenges currently facing his brother. But the candidate has now taken steps to establish a presence online and in social media, launching […]
- Glad Hand: Reaction Sep. 18, 2014 10:08 AM - Glad Hand is Torontoist‘s political cartoon, created by Brett Lamb and appearing here every Thursday.
- Mayoral Candidates and Ford Family React to News of Rob Ford’s Cancer Diagnosis Sep. 17, 2014 6:48 PM - Mayor Rob Ford has been diagnosed with a rare tumour—a pleomorphic liposarcoma—and will begin chemotherapy within 48 hours. Dr. Zane Cohen of Mount Sinai Hospital announced the details at a press conference Wednesday afternoon; shortly thereafter, mayoral opponents Olivia Chow and John Tory met with reporters outside City Hall to comment on the news. Ford’s […]
- Rob Ford Diagnosed With Malignant Abdominal Tumour Sep. 17, 2014 5:50 PM - Dr. Zane Cohen, the colorectal surgeon at Mount Sinai Hospital who is overseeing the medical team taking care of the mayor, announced Wednesday afternoon that Rob Ford has a malignant abdominal tumour. It’s been identified as a pleomorphic liposarcoma—a rare type of cancer that arises out of the body’s fatty tissue. More details from his […]
- Rob Ford Reportedly Undergoes Lung Biopsy Sep. 16, 2014 1:00 PM - On September 12, Rob Ford withdrew from the mayoral race after a tumour was discovered in his abdomen. Yesterday, he spoke on the phone with the Sun‘s Joe Warmington, and revealed that the doctors at Mount Sinai have performed a second biopsy, this time on his lungs. The hospital has not released any additional details […]
- Olivia Chow and John Tory Respond to Rob and Doug’s Campaign Switch Sep. 12, 2014 5:54 PM - It’s been an eventful day in Toronto politics. Rob Ford dropped out of the mayoral race to be replaced by Doug Ford, Michael Ford dropped out of the Ward 2 race to be replaced by Rob Ford, and Michael Ford registered to run for for school trustee of Ward 1. Mayoral candidates Olivia Chow and […]
- Statement from Rob Ford on Withdrawal From Mayoral Race Sep. 12, 2014 1:40 PM - Rob Ford has just issued a statement about his decision to withdraw his bid for re-election as Toronto’s mayor, via his campaign’s communications director, Jeff Silverstein. The full text: As many of you know I’ve been dealing with a serious medical issue, the details of which are unknown. But I know that with the love […]
- Rob Ford Withdraws From Mayoral Race; Doug Ford Running in His Place Sep. 12, 2014 1:08 PM - Rob Ford has officially withdrawn from the mayoral race. On Wednesday, it was revealed that the mayor had been hospitalized because of a tumour in his abdomen. He does not yet have a firm diagnosis, but the mayor’s brother Doug Ford has indicated that the mayor is in the “fight of his life.” Withdrawal papers […]
- Rob Ford Moved to Mt. Sinai Hospital for Further Tests Following Discovery of Abdominal Tumour Sep. 11, 2014 7:37 PM - On Thursday evening Dr. Zane Cohen, a colorectal surgeon at Mt. Sinai Hospital who is overseeing the medical team taking care of the mayor, updated members of the media on Rob Ford’s condition, following news Wednesday that a tumour had been discovered in his abdomen. Ford was moved to Mt. Sinai today, Cohen said, because […]
- Glad Hand: Tinfoil Hearts Sep. 11, 2014 10:00 AM - Glad Hand is Torontoist‘s political cartoon, created by Brett Lamb and appearing here every Thursday.
- Breaking: Rob Ford Hospitalized with a Tumour Sep. 10, 2014 8:21 PM - Rob Ford checked into Humber River Hospital’s Church Street location in Weston on Wednesday due to ongoing stomach pain; later in the evening doctors confirmed that he has been diagnosed with a tumour. At a press conference announcing the news, his brother and campaign manager said that no decision has been made about the status […]
- Duly Quoted: David Soknacki, on Who Would Be a Better Mayor Than Rob Ford Sep. 10, 2014 2:17 PM - “Anybody. If I had a cat it would make a better mayor than Rob Ford.” —Former mayoral candidate David Soknacki, who dropped out of the race Tuesday night, at a press conference outside City Hall today. He said Ford has “traumatized our city,” adding, “I believe he has been a divisive force. Out on the […]
- Rob Ford Asked City Staff to Explore Expropriating Land for a Deco Client Sep. 8, 2014 11:34 AM - It seems Mayor Rob Ford has been working even harder than originally thought to help advance the interests of a valuable family business client. Documents newly released to the Globe and Mail under the Freedom of Information Act reveal that Ford requested City staff explore the possibility of using their power of expropriation to acquire […]
- Joe Cressy Making Council Bid in Trinity-Spadina Sep. 5, 2014 1:40 PM - When Torontoist last spoke with Joe Cressy in June, the former campaign manager for Olivia Chow was running to replace his former boss as member of parliament—Chow had stepped down from the position in Trinity-Spadina to run for mayor of Toronto. Cressy was soundly defeated by former Trinity-Spadina councillor Adam Vaughan, who had resigned his […]
- Paula Fletcher Seeks Re-Election in Toronto-Danforth Sep. 4, 2014 3:10 PM - In 2010, Councillor Paula Fletcher (Ward 30, Toronto Danforth) edged out challenger Liz West to retain her downtown east seat, which she’s held since 2003. During the past four years, she’s experienced what she described to Torontoist in an interview last week as an “unprecedented” term under Mayor Rob Ford. “I don’t think anyone’s seen […]
- Glad Hand: Record of Success Sep. 4, 2014 1:31 PM - Glad Hand is Torontoist‘s political cartoon, created by Brett Lamb and appearing here every Thursday.
- Liveblog: Mayoral Debate at the Board of Trade Sep. 4, 2014 12:18 PM - It’s the week after Labour Day, which means election season is officially kicking into overdrive. There are about 40 debates between now and election day (October 27th! Everyone vote!), and today’s promises to be one of the most far-ranging. We’ll be liveblogging throughout, so follow along as our would-be mayors make their case for your […]
- Rob Ford Unveils Transit Plan Sep. 3, 2014 10:05 AM - Mayor Rob Ford unveiled his transit plan this morning, which is unsurprisingly big on subways, subways, subways. The plan, which was leaked from the mayor’s campaign website last night, calls for 32 kilometres of underground transit to be built at a cost of $9 billion. Proposals include halting planned LRT routes on Sheppard Avenue and […]
- New Allegations Emerge About Rob Ford’s Time Coaching High School Football Aug. 28, 2014 11:05 AM - When Mayor Rob Ford was banned in May from coaching football at any Catholic school in the city, the decision seemed to stem from comments he’d made months earlier in which he said, among other things, that many of his players “come from gangs” and live in “broken homes”—but more than 300 pages of documents […]