Hitching post on Wellington Street, November 1931. From the City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1548, Series 393, Item 23619.
Having horses in the city required an array of infrastructure. Stables dotted the cityscape, as did iron rings and hitching posts. Horse troughs became an important addition in the late 19th century through the concerted efforts of the Humane Society, until there were over 200 publicly accessible troughs around town by 1911.