The original wing of Women's College Hospital makes way for new development.
The development, design, and history of building projects, brought to you by UrbanToronto.ca.
Another depression-era high-rise structure is coming down in Toronto. The Art Deco Women’s College Hospital building, completed in 1935, is currently being torn down on Grenville Street, just east of Queens Park. With the recently built first phase of the new Women’s College Hospital (WCH) facility now completed to the east, the aging hospital structure on the western edge of the property is being cleared to make way for a future second phase of the project.
The original 10-storey wing of hospital is the last of three wings to be demolished for the rebuilding of WCH after the recent teardown of both the 1956 and 1971 wings. Though the WCH property had been designated as a National Historic Site by the Federal Government, none of the individual structures on site were themselves protected from redevelopment.
Crews continue to clear the site, which, aside from the original structure’s remaining western half, has been shored and excavated down to the addition’s former basement levels. The building is being taken down with hydraulic high-reach excavators, which bite chunks out of the building while hosing down the area to minimize dust.
Head over to UrbanToronto.ca to learn more about the project.
Photos by Jack Landau.