It's the weekend! You made it! In the news: Torontonians filled up a meeting on the proposed expansion of the island airport, the mayor has nothing to tell us about David Price, an awareness campaign focuses on bikes and trucks, and one of the faces of SARS has passed away.
Last night’s community meeting on the future of the Toronto Island airport drew a crowd, and it was one that didn’t always see eye-to-eye on the proposal to extend the runway at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport by up to 200 metres at each end in order to accommodate jets. One speaker was heckled for saying that the waterfront shouldn’t be a “gated community” for the “super-rich,” the Globe and Mail reported, while confusion occurred when one city staffer said he’d been instructed only to study the economic benefits of the runway extension while another told attendees that possible economic detriments would be included as well. Next week, the mayor’s executive committee will receive an updated report on the proposed airport expansion.
Mayor Rob Ford said yesterday that what happens in his office is “no one’s business,” in response to multiple reports about David Price, Ford’s director of operations and logistics, and his alleged abusive behaviour at a transit station. When asked on Thursday about the allegations, the mayor said that he doesn’t publicly comment on personnel matters. “It’s actually no one’s business what happens in my office,” the mayor said on his refusal to comment. “I take care of the people that work for me and they do a great job.” Metrolinx is examining several alleged incidents involving Price.
A provincial cycling group has launched a campaign aimed at lowering the number of bike-truck collisions. Ontario Share the Road’s public-awareness campaign—called Stay Safe, Stay Back—gives cyclists information on where the blind spot is located on larger trucks: along the entire length of the truck on the right, in fact. The campaign includes a handy video showing where a truck driver can or cannot see cyclists in the truck’s mirrors. Watch it and stay safe on the roads!
A key figure in the city’s battle against SARS has passed away. Dr. Donald Low, a public voice of the response effort, died Wednesday night at age 68 after being diagnosed with a brain tumour earlier this year. Low’s ability to explain to the public, through media coverage, what was happening made him one of the local faces of the fight against SARS during the 2003 outbreak. “I think the most important thing he leaves behind is an entire generation of people who he has supported to be bigger and better and to find the place in the world that was right for them where they were going to do things,” Low’s colleague Dr. Allison McGeer told the National Post, praising his mentorship and training of several experts in infectious diseases. Torontoist sends its condolences to Low’s family.