St Clair Carhouse, looking north-west, July 10, 1924. Photo by Alfred Pearson. City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 3253.
Of the TTC yard facilities no longer in use, perhaps the best utilized these days is the former St. Clair Carhouse, now known as Wychwood Barns. Built in 1913 by the Toronto Civic Railway, its use declined as streetcar routes which used it were eliminated, beginning in the 1950s. In April 1978, by which time only the St. Clair streetcar was using the facility, the carhouse’s personnel were transferred to Roncesvalles. The site was later used to test new streetcars and house at least one Scarborough RT train, but its tracks were permanently disconnected from the rest of the system in 1991.