After weeks of speculation from tight-lipped members of Toronto’s film community, and following a tweet yesterday by Jonathan Goldsbie (later picked up by the Star‘s Peter Howell), the Bloor Cinema announced today that it would be shutting down for renovations on June 30. “An announcement will be made on or about July 1st regarding the scope of the renovations and the re-opening,” read a brief statement in the sidebar of the venerable rep house’s website.
The announcement comes after a few rumours that renters looking to host events at the cinema near Bloor and Bathurst had been refunded deposits or told that it would be closing down, at least for a couple of months. We attempted to press owner Paul Bordonaro for comment a few weeks back, but he wouldn’t say much, other than that he and his brother Carm, who manages the cinema, were planning to “take some time off.” In response to our query of whether or not these renovations would see the Bloor re-open as something other than a cinema, Bordonaro said that when he purchased the property, just over a year ago, it was because he “wanted to make sure it’s a cinema.” The Bloor’s official announcement today does seem to confirm that the Bloor is merely shutting down for renovations (which it’s in need of, as anyone who’s seen, or heard, a movie there recently can attest) and not closing its doors permanently. (Anyone hoping to call “Lightbox causality!” will have to hold their tongues for now.)
How the temporary closure will affect programming of monthly events like Rue Morgue‘s screenings and Chris Alexander’s Film School Confidential, as well as forthcoming events like the Toronto After Dark Festival (a note on their website claims they’ll be back at the Bloor in late October, but it was written last December), remains to be seen.